Saturday, March 12, 2011

Stress

When we hear the term ‘stress’, we immediately jump to the conclusion that it has a negative effect that causes harm to our bodies. However, stress not necessarily damaging. It is a general term for physical or emotional reaction caused changes in life. Stress can either positive or negative. Stress, as long as it is temporary, can provide the extra energy that the body might need. It increases our concentrations and other bodily functions. However, it becomes detrimental to one’s body when the body never gets the chance to recover to its normal state.

Chronic stress can lead to so many malfunctions of the body. Stress ultimately weakens the immune system. Some of the long term diseases that stress can lead to includes high blood pressure, which can lead to heart problems, migraine, back pain, and ulcers.


Stressor: situation that causes stress
Stressed people can feel nervous, fearful, confused, worried, irritable, hostile, and unable to concentrate.

Stressors:
1.      Accidental hassles
2.      Major life changes
3.      Ongoing problems

Avoid preventable stressors
Plan major lifestyle changes
Realize your limitations
Prioritize
Improve communication
Share your thoughts
Develop a positive attitude
Reward yourself
Exercise
Eat and sleep well

Managing stress
Plan by visualizing expected events
Think positively
Imagine potential negative big events
Relax with deep breathing
Relax by clearing your mind
Relax your muscles
Ask for help

Some of the stresses in my life are:
1.      Overwhelming school work (classwork, AP tests, ACT/SAT, GPA) - I barely have time for myself. One of the possibilities to avoid this stress is to realize my limitations and plan wisely. I can also reward myself each time I accomplish school work without procrastinating in order to incentivize myself in a positive way.
2.      My future: I get stressed from worrying about what colleges I would be accepted to and my future career. I can develop a positive attitude towards my future so that I would prevent such stress to negatively affect my life in the long term.

1 comment:

  1. Soo,

    I loved how you put yourself into this blog. You not only pointed out common stressors, but you applied those to your life. I can definitely identify with you and the stress of the future and overwhelming nature of high school. It looks like we could both use a few tips that you suggested.

    Molly

    ReplyDelete